Windows 10 1903 or higher, Duplicate USB devices showing in File Explorer, why is it still not fixed ?

This is not a new problem, I have seen this annoying issue reported for years by several users, but I have never seen a straight answer explaining the reason for the duplication.

All the threads on the subject are locked.

I have seen the workaround temporary solution by modifying the following registry entries, either by deleting or renaming the entries to .old.

I have not seen any explanation for the purpose of the duplication and I cannot see one.

Can anybody explain the purpose of the duplicate drives showing in Widows Explorer and the meaning of NameSpace\DelegateFolders in the following Registry entries ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}

Since I did not want to delete the entry just in case I needed to restore it, I renamed it as {F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}.old and that eliminated the duplication in file explorer.

Still I'd like to have an explanation of the purpose for the duplication in Explorer.

A clear explanation rather than a canned answer will be appreciated. Thanks.

See sample in picture below with drive E: showing up twice.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@fg2001

I have not had this issue.  At least not so far.  I'll do some spelunking and see if something sheds any light on this.

As a shot in the dark, perhaps this is related to removing a USB device before the system has acknowledged that the device is ready for removal and thus, the system continues to treat the device as "still" present (i.e attached to the system).  This is sometimes the case with various hardware items.  Then when the device is attached again, you get the double entry.

Just for grins, try this (remove your USB drives first):  Open Device Manager > go to View > select Show hidden devices (i.e. non-present devices).  Then expand the Disk Drive branch.  This will show all current and past disk drive devices that are/were attached to the system.  Right-click one of the non-present devices that has been showing a double entry in File Explorer and select Uninstall device.  Do this for all entries of that particular device.  This will not harm any future use of the device -  it will simply reinstall itself the next time it is attached to the system.  After doing this, check File Explorer to see if the double entries still show up.  You may need to logout/login or reboot or restart File Explorer (kill and restart from Task Manager) for the system to re-read the device configurations.  The objective is to "kick" Windows to clear out entries/records of non-present devices - and - to hopefully clear out the Registry entries for those devices.

I am hazarding a guess that some sort of hiccup in the device removal process left a record of the device in the Registry or elsewhere and that executing a formal "uninstall" process will trigger Windows to "formally" remove/delete its "knowledge" of said device(s) and thus, clear up the double entry issue - permanently.  Or, at least until there is another device removal anomaly.  

...just a guess...but, a simple and light touch approach to solving this if it works...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's a feature, not a bug!

Don't remember where I heard/red this, but the behavior is intentional. Removeable drives are added to the Desktop namespace so they can appear as root items in the Navigation Pane --- thus accessible when Explorer is launched without having to expand This PC. More convenient when swapping drives in & out.

Keith

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

galileo1564, 

I'm sure you will see the same problem.

It is not happening just with USB devices, but also with eSATA, like WD MyBook.

It has something to do with removable devices, but there is no reason for the duplication.

People have been complaining from several windows releases ago, but it was never solved, just another unofficial workaround.

The devices are ejected properly and they don't show after that, but you insert a device again and they populate the navigation pane twice.

If you insert 4 devices you will see 8 , each one repeated under This PC and also as a separate duplicate entry showing below the libraries. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a feature, not a bug!

Don't remember where I heard/red this, but the behavior is intentional. Removeable drives are added to the Desktop namespace so they can appear as root items in the Navigation Pane --- thus accessible when Explorer is launched without having to expand This PC. More convenient when swapping drives in & out.

Keith

You may call it a feature, it is just a silly confusing useless duplication.

That is why so many people are complaining about it.

Also file explorer can already automatically open the drive when you insert it if you chose that in Auto Play, (Open with file explorer).

This is a completely redundant duplication and most users just don't want it.

At least it should be set as an option, not a default.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

galileo1564, 

I'm sure you will see the same problem.

It is not happening just with USB devices, but also with eSATA, like WD MyBook.

It has something to do with removable devices, but there is no reason for the duplication.

People have been complaining from several windows releases ago, but it was never solved, just another unofficial workaround.

The devices are ejected properly and they don't show after that, but you insert a device again and they populate the navigation pane twice.

If you insert 4 devices you will see 8 , each one repeated under This PC and also as a separate duplicate entry showing below the libraries. 

Ahhh, I found it.  Yes, actually I "did" have this issue some time ago and found a solution for this.  I have a set of system tweaks that I apply through a custom registry file import.  The solution to this drive icon issue is part of that registry file and after applying, those drive duplication issues are gone forever.  Hence, I usually never see them - and thus forget about the issue - as I apply the registry tweaks immediately after I clean install a new system.

Take a look at this article on the AskVG website:  https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-tip-remove-onedrive-quick-access-homegroup-and-network-icons-from-navigation-pane-of-this-pc/.  Scan down to "Part 5: Remove Removable Drive Icon...".  Following is the "magic" - I am assuming a Windows 10 64 bit system:

Step 1 - Go to this registry key: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83} then rename the {F5FB...} key by prepending "xxx" to the beginning of the name.  I do this neuter the registry entry and to preserve the original entry if needed later.  The prepended "xxx" prevents the OS from finding that key.

Step 2 - Repeat the above on this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}

These are some very simple registry tweaks that will "permanently" eliminate the duplicate drive icon issue for removable drives.  The effects of these tweaks can be removed by simply removing the "xxx" from the key names.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

galileo1564, 

Yes I know about the registry workaround, I show that in my original post.

The problem is that after an upgrade of windows the registry gets restored to the original bug and you have to apply the changes again.

I don't think a general windows user should need to go trough a registry tweak every time there is a new upgrade.

If this is by MS design, it is really redundant an creates this stupid confusing duplication.

At least it should not be the default setting, if they insist on it they can make it as an optional setting.

It is just a bad design, I can already open a removable device with file explorer by setting the auto play accordingly.

From all the online posts I see that nobody likes or needs this duplication.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

galileo1564, 

Yes I know about the registry workaround, I show that in my original post.

The problem is that after an upgrade of windows the registry gets restored to the original bug and you have to apply the changes again.

I don't think a general windows user should need to go trough a registry tweak every time there is a new upgrade.

If this is by MS design, it is really redundant an creates this stupid confusing duplication.

At least it should not be the default setting, if they insist on it they can make it as an optional setting.

It is just a bad design, I can already open a removable device with file explorer by setting the auto play accordingly.

From all the online posts I see that nobody likes or needs this duplication.

Yes, you do need to re-apply some, if not most, registry tweaks after a Windows Feature Upgrade.  MS is essentially re-installing the OS via a Feature Upgrade.  That is why and how Windows is "repaired" or refreshed and OS problems are resolved for many users.  It brings many of the system settings back to their defaults or, if you will, back to a baseline.

Try to support a user with non-standard system settings...it is essentially impossible to triage OS problems due to not knowing what the user has changed/customized in the system.  Or try to upgrade a system with new features - or security improvements - on a system which has extensive user customization or registry tweaks.  You will have unknown starting points for system settings which can cause installation and functional issues.  And, make resolving those issues extremely time consuming or even impossible due to customizations that cause partial component installations and partial registry setting updating.  Thus leaving the system between "tick and tock", so to say.  Hence, the all too frequent suggestion from support staff for the user to re-install Windows.

The drive icon duplication is a design choice by MS.  Opinions regarding the design decision are what they are.  There is a way to remove/suppress it.  That method will be returned to the OS defaults when the registry is updated during a Feature Upgrade.  One can re-apply the tweaks  It is what it is.

(btw: I too would prefer no duplicate icons)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

galileo1564, 

The drive icon duplication is a "pretty BAD" design choice by MS.

I can live with it, but It just sucks !

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi fg2001,

Like yourself I've see this in File Explorer for Over 4 Years now. And from what I've come to understand and read, is that it is "Not" A Bug but is implemented into Windows 10 By MS choice. Because with default settings, The Navigation pane displays a separate list of USB Drives in addition to showing USB drives under this PC. Because of this behaviour. We see Duplicate USB drives entries in the Navigation pane.

This way a person can See there USB drive Without having "This PC" Expanded or highlighted in File Explorer. With that, I guess that MS decided "If it ain't Broke, why fix it"

I Hope This Helps You...

If My Reply Answered Your Question, Please Mark It Answered. Thank-You

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Leprechaun J, 

Thanks for trying a response...

Just because MS is too lazy to fix a bad design, it doesn't mean that it is not broken.

They are just ignoring the complaints from all the users.

I already read all the explanations on the existing threads, many users just don't like the useless duplication. 

I don't like it either, I think it is a stupid mistake.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2023 Views 3,753 Applies to: